Badly Cracked Cuddy Roof

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Badly Cracked Cuddy Roof

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 26, 1999 12:00 am

My '77 DSII has several huge cracks in the cuddy roof where the mast passes through. A previous owner must have had the mast fall over and made an ugly but functional repair. Today I reopened one of the cracks as I was stepping the mast and I need some advice about fixing the cracks for good.

Bob Beard (rbeard-at-earthlink.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 26, 1999 12:00 am

I also have many badly repaired cracks in my 1957 DaysailorI. I have found it difficult so really take out any of the previous repairs without really doing a number on the boat. It sounds as if the repair was not strong either. I absolutely love West system epoxy
because it is so easy to work with and really strong. Expensive for large projects, but I use it for small repairs.

I would use a tear drop scraper and dig all the bad repair out. Sand the area well and fill with West System and microballoons. Then attach fiberglass mat and West on the underside for strength and keep the uglies on the underside. Also you can buy a small booklet from Gougeon Brothers that make West and they have all sorts of tips on how to use their products for the best repairs. Good luck and keep us updated. E

Eric Nelson (daysailor17-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement