Hull and Class Numbers

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull and Class Numbers

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 1997 12:00 am

Hi all.

I was looking at my 1972 Day Sailer II, and on the inside rear of the boat, there is a small plate which has two numbers:

Class No. 5702
Hull No. 3062

My mainsail (which came with the boat when I bought it in April) has the number 5702 on it.

From sailing on Flying Scots and Thistles, I was under the impression that the <I>hull number</I> was the number that went on the sails. Should my mainsail have 3062 on it instead?

Thanks.

Mike Boone (BooneDocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 1997 12:00 am

I was told by a neighbor who knows more about these boats than I, that the number on the sail is the total number of boats made in the class, up to and including your boat. Why the hull should have a different number, I don't know.

My number on the sail is in the four thousands (I forget it), and the boat was made in 1970. I have no hull number on the plate in the boat. There is a serial number. I am under the impression that the requirement that hulls be numbered may have started with a federal navigation act that was passed in 1973. If this is the case, and I am speculating, then in the newer classes, the class number and the hull number would be the same. Perhaps Day Sailer hull numbers started with 1 in 1973.

Does anyone know for sure?

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sun Aug 31, 1997 12:00 am

The hull/sail numbers for Day Sailers were generally assigned to be the serial number of the boat as it came out of the mold. When the gov't. started requiring the numbers to be stamped into the transom, O'Day didn't start at 1. By the time they built the last class legal Day Sailer it was hull number 12943. The subsequent builder, Spindrift one designs, used 11000-11920(I own hull 11750). The next builder, Precision boat works, used numbers 13000 to 13113. After Precision stopped building the DS, McLaughlin boat works picked up production and built boats with hull numbers 13150-13165. After McLaughlin came Sunfish/Laser, who built the DS beginning with number 14000. SLI built around 150 boats. Now, Cape Cod builds the boats, they are beginning with 14201.

I gleaned this out of the Day Sailer Handbook for 1996. It's available when you join the class association, as is a directory of other class association members.

I've never heard of a class number as opposed to a hull number, but I don't see that as a big deal. If that sail is the original sail, the number's probably correct.

The class rules say is that the mainsail and spinnaker should have the "correct" sail number... But there's no definition of correct. Probably no big deal unless you come across a "Sea-Lawyer" at a sanctioned regatta. :-)

Just go out and sail that boat!
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 1997 12:00 am

That answers a lot of questions Bob. Thanks. I met a guy today with who proudly showed me a number in the 800s. I forget exactly. He was very proud of it. Said the boat was a Day Sailer 1. Later, I was asked if mine was a 1 (or I.) and had to say that I had no idea. It is about 20 years old. Do you know you know what was meant by that?

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 1997 12:00 am

Check out Day Sailer Fleet 56 page and member Dave Misunas' Table of Builders and Hull Numbers at <A HREF="http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm">http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm</A> it does a good job on explaining our sail number history and various builders

Gus Heismann (marktdes-at-oneimage.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Sep 09, 1997 12:00 am

Steve,
About 1970 O'day changed the design of the Day Sailer by incorporating a separately molded inner liner, with a raised floor, the hatch over the cuddy, and centerboard control by means of cables instead of the hand lever. DSA negotiated with O'day and DSA said they would accept DS II's as class legal if O'day would keep building the DS I also.

Can anyone comment on the erformance differences between the DSI and DSII?
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 11, 1997 12:00 am

Bob Hunkins's mention of the centerboard lever brings to mind nother question. On the DS 1, how is the lever connected to the board? Is there a shaft directly through the board, or does the lever work a pully connected to the baord with a rope or chain? I ask because my lever is particularly hard to move even at the mooring, and worse when reaching and the water pressure is against the board. I sometimes have to stand on it, and I worry that too much pressure on the lever will break something inside.

Steve

Steve Max (75284.153-at-Compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 14, 1997 12:00 am

Steve,

The DS I centerboard handle is cast in bronze, sometimes crome plated, and will break if too much pressure is applied, but I doubt if you would break something on the inside. The centerboard handle has a one inch square section that fits into a square bronze plate thats molded into the centerboard head. The centerboard trunk has a larger circle machined into it that the centerboard handle turns within.

If your centerboard leaks a little, try putting vaseline around the gasket. Remove the centerboard handle to get to the gasket. If you need a new gasket call Allen T. Jones at 541-241-2575 he has a supply that is adveritised in the Day Sailer Quarterly, the Day Sailer Association publication.

You may have some sand, gravel or mud in your centerboard trunk. Roll your Day Sailer on its side on the beach. To do this you will need two and maybe three people, two get in the water and lift near the chain plates, the other person pulls on the side stay and when its over far enough pulls the mast down to the ground and sits on the mast while you work on the centerboard. Use the handle or cable to pull the centerboard out. Inspect the centerboard and trunk. Look for scratches, cracks or splits on the centerboard. You may want to remove the centerboard and sand the centerboard head, how ever, I have seldom found this to be the case. Most of the time the centerboard head it to loose and knocks around when sailing in chop. Loose centerboard head will allow stuff to get jamed in there. Let me know if you have a particular problem, I may be able to help.

Gus Heismann (marktdes-at-oneimage.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 07, 1998 1:00 am

Two additions to the previous info on hull numbers:<OL><LI>When the DS was first made, nine prototypes were built. At one time, Muncie (IN) Sailing Club members owned three of them. Clark Sloan still owns number 8, but I don't know what happened to the other two.</LI><LI>When I ordered my McLaughlin DS1, I requested an out-of-sequence number. I wanted to keep the spinnaker from my old boat, number 10310. My present boat is number 13310, and, since McLaughlin made such a short run of DaySailers, my hull number has become a historical oddity.</LI></OL>

Ken Nottingham (AskNott-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 28, 2001 3:52 pm

I just picked up a oday Hull # 8032 Class# 52. Can anyone tell me what year it may be?

warren (jumpih4-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2001 12:36 pm

I'd say 1959, the very first year the Day Sailer was built!
The mystery of the Hull# / Class # is solved by the fact that O'Day originally gave each boat 2 numbers, The Hull # was the "serial#" based on how many TOTAL boats O'Day had built, and Class# was based on how many of that class had been built. Example, a Day Sailer with Hull# 1234 and class # 1203 would have been the 1234th O'Day boat built, and the 1203rd Day Sailer. O'Day Hull# 1235 may have been a Widgeon or a Rhodes 19 or a Mariner.
All this changed when the USCG required Hull I.D. Numbering system went into effect on 01 November, 1972.
After that date (and O'Day may have started sooner?) all boats had a 12 digit HIN, and the last 2 digits are the last 2 digits of the model year.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2001 3:03 pm

I agree that this is a Gen 1 Day Sailer (w/ the plank seats), but first year for Day Sailer was 1957 according to what I've read. I'd say it's a '57. Nice classic boat!

Kevin Clark
DS 11791
Dallas, TX

Kevin (kevin.clark-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Return to History