battery location

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

battery location

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 13, 2000 1:00 am

Any suggestions on where to locate a battery to be used for an electric motor as well as lights on a DS2? I am lean towards putting it in the icebox and running wire from there. Thanks

Larry Boley (lboley-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2000 1:00 am

The "icebox" is a possible location, but I really would not recommend it, for the following reasons; 1) a battery suitable for powering an electric o/b seems like it will be too big to fit there, 2) the icebox is not really strong enough to support the 50# or more that a deep-cycle battery usually weighs, mine had cracked just from "normal" use for line stowage and/or ice and drinks (was cracked when I bought boat), 3) my DS II already lists (tilts) to port and 50# that far off-center would really affect that. I have my battery located just ahead of the mast, I custom built a box for it and it is recessed into the cuddy "floor" so that it is resting on the box-beam that connects the maststep to the forward bulkhead. This is not the most convienient spot, but my battery goes into the boat in May and comes out in October, so it works for me.My suggestion to you is if powering an electric o/b and nav. lights......mount the battery box in the stern, either in the area around the self-bailer (raise box so as to not block), or strapped down just forward of that location where it appears that O'Day designed a spot for a portable cooler or fuel tank. For lights, try using a good, quality set of dry-cell (flashlight-type) powered navigation lights, that was what I used on my old Widgeon. On my Day Sailer I do have permanently mounted lights connected to my battery, and this may be best for you as well, but for simplicity....don't dismiss the dry-cell lights. If you do consider using permanent lights, e-mail me and I'll explain how mine are set up.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2000 1:00 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I am in the process of mounting permanent lights now. Any thoughts you might have on wiring would be appreciated. Thanks

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 24, 2000 1:00 am

Thanks for your suggestions on locations. I am in process of mounting battery as you suggested. I am mounting switches and an outlet on the battery cover to minimize hardware on boat when not using battery and to reduce wiring needs.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:29 pm

When this thread started, Larry asked about putting the battery in the icebox molded into the port-side cockpit seat. I suggested that that was not an ideal location for many reasons, one of which was that I did not think a battery would fit. Well, when I removed the battery from SUNBIRD this Fall I decided to at least verify this assumption.......well, I have a "Group 24" size battery. It does not fit, unless you leave the cover off the icebox, and even then the bottom of the battery is too big to fit down into the bottom of the box. If 6-volt batteries were used (2 in series = 12V), they might fit and that would power the lights, not sure how wel it would work for a trolling motor.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement