so - did I get a DaySailor?

Moderator: GreenLake

so - did I get a DaySailor?

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 17, 2000 12:00 am

I just picked up a boat on a trailer at a yard sale (yup - it's true).

HIN starts with XDY - so I know it's an O'Day.

Sails are in great condition.

I can't figure out if it's a DaySailor or a Widgeon.

Either way, I'm happy, since I didn't pay too much.

Can someone who knows their boats e-mail me --- I can provide the full HIN.

Alternatively, is there a site where I can just type in the HIN and find out what I got?

Richard (millerra-at-beloit.edu)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2000 12:00 am

Just got a DS myself. My father gave it to me. Wasn't sure what I got exactly either. I called the state of Texas (where it was titled & registered) and gave them a HIN. They couldn't tell me what or who unless I sent them a letter requesting the info and $1.50 check. If the boat has a hull registration number on it you'll be able to tell what state it was registered in, if at all. As far as looking up a HIN on the web, I'm clueless.

Christian Buckner (cskmbuck-at-freewwweb.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2000 12:00 am

Lets see, you have a boat, can't determine if it is a Widgeon or a Day Sailer........!
Well, the Day Sailer is 16' 9" long, has a cuddy, has a "D S" on the sail.
The Widgeon is 12' 4" long, has either a forward deck that ends just forward of the mast w/6" wide sidedecks from the foredeck to the transom, or has an approx. 6-8" wide deck along the sides and around the bow. The Widgeon has a "W" surrounded by an "O" on the sail.

Not to confuse the issue, but your boat might be a Javelin, 14' long, forward deck ends just aft of the mast w/sidedecks leading to the transom.

Check out the O'Day links from this web-site, there are pictures of all 3 of the boats that I've mentioned above on a couple of those sites.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2000 12:00 am

One more bit of info, the HIN should be: XDYD####M79E
Your boat would have something else instead of 79E, unless built in Dec. 1978. Also the "D" may be at the end of the HIN after a dash. If there is a "D" as I've shown...then you have a Day Sailer. If the "D" is replaced by another letter, the boat is not a DS.
I suspect "W" for Widgeon, "J" for Javelin?

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to History