Repairing chips around edge of deck on DS3

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Repairing chips around edge of deck on DS3

Postby jefflw » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:34 pm

There are a number of "chip's" around the edge of the deck on my 1985 DS3, along with a few surface cracks aroud the base of the mast and the cleats on either side of the mast. I think the chips are actually holes that a previous owner tried to patch with silicone. Anyway its a mess.

Any suggestions on repairing? I am thinking about digging out the silicone and either filling with automotive filler or repairing with fiberglass. Not sure of the best option and what ever I do will need to be painted.

The deck has oxidization/chaulking issues so I am also going to apply some restorer to it to eliminate that issue.
jefflw

Postby albanysailer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:18 am

I used Marine-Tex to repair some chips on the bottom of the transom. I did the repairs last fall when I bought the boat and it has held up fine. My father-in-law who has been boating all his life recommended it.

http://www.marinetex.com/

I think I got it at West Marine...
albanysailer

Postby PassingWind » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:20 pm

I Know this is an old thread but for chips you can use gel coat(color match it) and add cabosil to thicken it up
PassingWind

Postby Alan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 pm

The thread may be old, but the topic is ageless. :)

I suddenly realized one day that the System Three Quikfair I used to fill some screw holes in the transom is almost exactly the same cream color as the deck molding, so it would be perfect to fill chips along the edge. A dab of System Three clear paint to provide UV protection, and voila!

Now I can crash into all the docks I want to.
Alan

Return to Day Sailer III Only