Rope for various lines

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Rope for various lines

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Green Lake, I think the small-diameter hook is the answer. Mine is a quarter-inch and blunt enough that it doesn't want to get into the Amsteel loop easily while it's under tension.

Talbot, the problem is the tail/Amsteel joint is past the turning block and it's a tight fit through the block.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Let me know how it works out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:06 pm

GreenLake wrote:Right around that time I also upgraded the main sheet to FSE Robline racing sheet in 3/8".
That rope has an interesting "rag wool sock" feel to it, best I can describe it. It is nice and grippy, runs well and works fine in the single ratchet block I use on the boom (above the still original CB trunk fitting). I had much earlier changed the transom setup to a traveler like the one described in Phill Root's Rigging guide.

GL - see this post going back to 2015. Do you still like the FSE Robline racing sheet? A little hard to find these days. I went to FSE Robline site (Austria) and the dealer locator function pointed me to West Marine for US. West Marine's site says "This item is no longer available." Do you know of site that offers the racing sheet product?

While on the WM site I also looked at some of the New England Rope Products. Anyone use the Regatta Braid for a main sheet? Felt pretty good to me when I went to a store. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-engl ... ecordNum=2

Anyone have other suggestions for main sheet line?
Rob

DS1 #14061
DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Supposedly, you can special order it from https://www.fisheriessupply.com/fse-robline-racing-sheet-pro. Maybe I should order a replacement while it's still available. Really like this for the mainsheet.

If you go back in the thread, K.C. Walker suggested an alternative (Bzzz).

Don't know about Regatta Braid, although my local store carries it. Will have to check it out next time I go there.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:02 am

Fisheries supply is a good source. Selection not as great as some places, but have really good prices on some products.

In traditional kernmantel construction, I like Robline Dinghy Lite (all polypro, weighs zilch) and Samson Trophy Braid (all polyester, with a fuzzy sheath that makes it really easy to hold. I used the former for light air, the latter for heavy weather.

Note that Teufelberger, the makers of Robline, also own New England ropes. If Robline dropped its soft braid, it might have been to avoid brand confusion with NE's competing products.
talbot

Postby RobH912 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:29 am

Talbot - Interesting that Teufelberger owns both FSE Robline & New England Ropes. I'd missed that, and I'm sure that product managers work to keep products distinct. You've got the Dinghy Light in 5/16?

GL - thanks for pointing out K.C. Walker's post on Bzzz. I do see that Fisheries Supply has the Robline Racing sheet pro 3/8 as a special order item in Red only.

A couple of weeks back I went to my local West Marine but found that their at store selection of lines was not very good. They did not have Bzzz, and they only had Dinghy Light in the 1/4" which felt too thin in my hand and didn't seem appropriate for a DS mainsheet. I liked the feel of 3/8 Regatta in my hand... maybe more the size of the line than the line itself...

Realizing that selecting lines is like "Goldilocks" and unfortunately it seems hard to get to a store that has my options "in hand."

Fisheries' pricing looks very good. 5/16 Dinghy Light is $.53/ft vs. West Marines' at $.99

Since it is winter have some time to figure the main sheet out.
Rob

DS1 #14061
DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm still using the Bzzz line and put it on a couple of other boats, as well. It is soft in hand and grippy. It definitely looks like old socks now, but it still holds well in the ratchet block. I use the lighter smaller diameter for my jib and Utility Power Sail. The UPS has quite a lot of sheet load and the Bzzz holds really well in the auto ratchet blocks. A couple of nice things about it is that it holds no water, so it remains really lightweight. Being a single braid, it doesn't tangle at all or get twisted. Also, because of being a single braid of soft fiber it has very low internal friction going to the blocks. This means less effort to pull in the sheet under load. It's also very reasonably priced. I get mine from Intensity Sails. I sail in the same series as Jim Myers, who owns that company, and he's a really good guy. Geez, I should sell this stuff! :-)

Honestly, I switched from double braid original and was so happy with this that I really never tried anything else.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby RobH912 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:I'm still using the Bzzz line and put it on a couple of other boats, as well. It is soft in hand and grippy. It definitely looks like old socks now, but it still holds well in the ratchet block.... Geez, I should sell this stuff! :-)

Honestly, I switched from double braid original and was so happy with this that I really never tried anything else.

K.C. - You are so enthusiastic on Bzzz, it is a lot less expensive than FSE Robline Racing Sheet Pro, and Bzzz is easier to get that, I ordered some last night for my main sheet.

Maybe you should sell this stuff :D
Rob

DS1 #14061
DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Previous

Return to Rigging