Any "Tricks" on using PM ?

General announcements and information specific to the DaySailer forums.

Moderator: GreenLake

Any "Tricks" on using PM ?

Postby RobH912 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:45 pm

Tried to send my first PM today, but the PM seems to be "stuck" in the Outbox after I hit Send.

This board looks like many others I have been on, but wondering if there was a trick to get the PM to leave my outbox send?

Thanks!
Rob
Rob


DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Re: Any "Tricks" on using PM ?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:11 pm

The "trick" is for the recipient to actually read it.

If contacting a seller that has given other contact information, don't necessarily expect that they monitor this forum or have notification set for PMs.

If contacting other forum members in the off-season, don't expect a quick reply.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake
 
Posts: 5456
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 am

Re: Any "Tricks" on using PM ?

Postby RobH912 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:08 pm

GreenLake thanks for the reply.

I am pretty new to the DS Forum and my question was specifically about having my first attempted PM "stuck" in my Outbox. I was trying to reach a seller that had recently posted a DSI for sale. PM just sat in the Outbox marked in RED. I then posted a couple replies to the seller that I was trying to reach him, as well as posting this initial question on using PMs. I was wondering if i wasn't doing something correctly.

Those posts to the board went out immediately and posted, all while my PM just sat in my outbox. I returned later to the computer and saw that the PM had finally sent, and also that the boat was sold. :(

Looking to get a DSI or II for summer 2019, have spent a lot of time on the web site, have learned a great deal from posts, purchased a copy of Rodger's book, and see that you do a LOT as the moderator.

Thank you for all of your work and a Happy New Years to you and others on the DS Forum.

Rob
Rob


DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Re: Any "Tricks" on using PM ?

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:32 pm

RobH912 wrote:I am pretty new to the DS Forum and my question was specifically about having my first attempted PM "stuck" in my Outbox.

Yes, I got that. Sorry, if my reply was a bit cryptic. But the way the forum outbox apparently works is by keeping a copy of your PM until it is "picked up".

RobH912 wrote: I was trying to reach a seller that had recently posted a DSI for sale. PM just sat in the Outbox marked in RED.


You didn't mention the color. I just drafted a test message to you to see whether there's any red and there wasn't; so don't know what that color means. BTW, you probably won't see that test message, because I deleted it before you accessed it, but if you have notifications set for PMs, you may get still an e-mail telling you that you got a message.

RobH912 wrote:... I was wondering if i wasn't doing something correctly. ...
Those posts to the board went out immediately and posted, all while my PM just sat in my outbox. ...
I returned later to the computer and saw that the PM had finally sent, and also that the boat was sold. :(

No, I don't think you did anything wrong. The seller did not provide other contact info, so sending a PM and replying in a post was all you could do.
The boat may have been offered in other places as well. For example, knowing the location, I would always check Craigslist for that area, in case it's listed there.


RobH912 wrote:Looking to get a DSI or II for summer 2019, have spent a lot of time on the web site, have learned a great deal from posts, purchased a copy of Rodger's book, and see that you do a LOT as the moderator.

Thank you for all of your work and a Happy New Years to you and others on the DS Forum.


Better luck next time. Do check your local Craigslist listings in addition to watching things here. Also, if you go to the DSA member site https://daysailer.org, you can find out if your area has a local fleet. People there may know something.

May the new year make you a happy boat owner!
~GL
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake
 
Posts: 5456
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 am

Re: Any "Tricks" on using PM ?

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Another suggestion: list yourself in the WTB (want to buy) section here on the forum. With luck, some future seller may notice.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake
 
Posts: 5456
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 am


Return to Forum Info and How To Use the Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron