New Guy with a Centerboard question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New Guy with a Centerboard question

Postby badgley » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 am

GreenLake wrote:I wouldn't think of "Amsteel" as "crazy".

Fair point! I just meant that you don't have to go out of your way to get the least stretchy rope possible. Even some double braid that you might already happen to have laying around might be better than the 3-strand.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Re: New Guy with a Centerboard question

Postby GreenLake » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Brian, I was just messing with you a bit. Your point came through quite clearly.

Just to continue the line of thought: if I go out and purchase rope for some purpose, I can either select by best match to the requirements or by price. I've done both. When I purchased my jib sheets, it was an offcut. I would have never picked that kind of rope from the roll, but the price was right, and other than it being a bit heavy in light airs, I've been very happy with it. (It's total overkill, I could probably suspend boat, trailer and towing vehicle from it, but it handles well and seems to age well).

When I just need a short length of something, but don't have something lying around, I enjoy browsing the ropes at the local marine store and may well try something that's more expensive per foot but promises to work well.

Three-strand: I purchased some for docking lines early in my boat owning days, because I wanted to splice eyes in them using a traditional short splice. All my docking is rather temporary, so I don't have to worry about qualities that are important for lines left unattended in all kinds of conditions. So, I now use some solid braid that's lighter and smoother, but grippy and belays well on the stern cleats.

What I'm trying to say is that, over the years, I've moved on - some things I used to swear by don't seem so great any more, and some other stuff has become available that's interesting and in some ways better than anything I tried before.

For this particular discussion I can't really contribute specifics, because I don't own a DS with a rope operated CB, but I sailed on one boat that had a wire for the uphaul (not a DS, but a small boat with a 200lbs steel plate). The owner had a spare, and that was made from Amsteel and we were able to rig that one with the boat careened in shallow water. I'm glad he had made the switch, because fitting that was way easier than working with wire cable.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only